Privacy Notice for pupils GDPR

Privacy Notice for pupils GDPR

Privacy Notice for pupils

You and/or your parents or carers have a right to be informed about how Brighouse High School uses any personal information that we hold about you. To comply with this, we provide a ‘privacy notice’ to you where we are processing your personal information.

This privacy notice explains how we collect, store and use personal data about you.

We, Brighouse High School, are the ‘data controller’ for the purposes of data protection law

We have a Data protection Officer who can be contacted if you have any questions or need to invoke your rights.  The Data Protection Officer can be contacted by emailing


The personal information we hold

We hold personal information about you, which is called ‘personal data’ to make sure we can help you learn and look after you at school.

For the same reasons, we get information about you from other places too – like other schools, your parents or carers, the local council and the government.

This information includes:

  • Your contact details
  • Your test results
  • Your attendance records
  • Your characteristics, like your ethnic background or any special educational needs
  • Any medical conditions you have
  • Details of any behaviour issues or exclusions
  • Photographs
  • CCTV images


Why we use this data

We use this data to help run the school, including to:

  • Get in touch with you and your parents when we need to
  • Check how you’re doing in exams and work out whether you or your teachers need any extra help
  • Track how well the school as a whole is performing
  • Look after your health and wellbeing


Our legal basis for using this data

We will only collect and use the personal data when the law allows us to. Most often, we will use it where:

  • We need to comply with the law
  • We need to use it to carry out a task in the public interest (that is to provide you with an education and look after your health and wellbeing)

Sometimes, we may also use your personal data where:

  • You, or your parents/carers have given us permission to use it in a certain way
  • We need to protect your interests
  • We need to protect someone else’s interest such as the School

Where we have got your permission to use your data, you or your parents/carers may withdraw this at any time. We will make this clear when we ask for permission, and explain how to go about withdrawing it.

Some of the reasons listed above for collecting and using your data overlap, and there may be several reasons which mean we may sometimes have to continue using your data even if you withdraw permission for example if the law says we must continue using it.


Collecting this information

While in most cases you, or your parents/carers, must provide the personal information we need to collect, there are some occasions when you can choose whether or not to provide the data.

We will always tell you if it’s optional and we will explain what might happen if you don’t.


How we store this data

We will keep personal information about you while you are a pupil at our school. We may also keep it after you have left the school, where we are required to by law.

We have a retentions policy which sets out how long we must keep information about pupils. This is available to view on the school website.


Data sharing

We do not share your personal data with anyone outside the school without permission from you or your parents/carers, unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.

Where it is legally required, or necessary for another reason allowed under data protection law, we may share personal data about you with:

  • Schools/other educational establishments that the students attend after leaving the school;
  • Suppliers and organisations providing a service such as ICT support;
  • our local authority;
  • the Department for Education (a government department) (known as the DfE);
  • the NHS.


Why we share student information 

We share information with suppliers and service providers in order for them to fulfil contracts they have with us.

We share student data with the Department for Education (DfE) and the local authority on a statutory basis, that is Parliament requires us to do so. This data sharing allows school funding and educational attainment and monitoring. We are required to share information about our students with the (DfE) under regulation 5 of The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013.


Data collection requirements

We are required to provide information about you to the DfE as part of data collections such as the school census. To find out more about data collection requirements (for example via the school census) go to


National Pupil Database

We are required to provide information about you to the DfE as part of data collections such as the school census.

Some of this information is then stored in the National Pupil Database, which is managed by the DfE and provides evidence on how schools are performing.

The database is held so it can easily be turned into statistics. The information it holds is collected securely from schools, local authorities, exam boards and others.

The DfE may share information from the database with other organisations which promote children’s education or wellbeing in England. These organisations must agree to strict terms and conditions about how they will use your data.

You can find more information about this on the DfE’s webpage on how it collects and shares research data.

You can also contact the Department for Education if you have any questions about the database.


Youth support services

Once you reach the age of 13, we are legally required to pass on certain information about you to C&K careers as it has legal responsibilities regarding the education or training of 13-19 year-olds.

This information enables it to provide youth support services, post-16 education and training services, and careers advisers.

Your parents/carers, or you once you’re 16, can contact our data protection officer to ask us to only pass your name, address and date of birth to C&K careers.


Transferring data internationally

If we ever need to share data with an organisation that is based outside the European Economic Area, we will protect your data by following data protection law.Your rights


How to access personal information we hold about you

You can find out if we hold any personal data about you and how we use it, by making a ‘subject access request’, as long as we judge that you can properly understand your rights and what they mean.  If we judge that you do not understand then your parents/carers can make the request.

If we do hold information about you, we will:

  • Give you a description of it;
  • Tell you why we are holding and using it, and how long we will keep it for;
  • Explain where we got it from, if not from you or your parents;
  • Tell you who else has it,  or who it will be shared with;
  • Let you know if we are using your data to make any automated decisions (decisions being taken by a computer or machine, rather than by a person); and
  • Give you a copy of the information

You may also ask us to send your personal information to another organisation electronically in certain circumstances.

If you want to make a request please contact our data protection officer.


Your other rights over your data

You have other rights over how your personal data is used and kept safe, including the right to:

  • Say that you don’t want it to be used if this would cause, or is causing, harm or distress
  • Stop it being used to send you marketing information
  • Say that you don’t want it used to make automated decisions (decisions made by a computer or machine, rather than by a person)
  • Have it corrected, deleted or destroyed if it is wrong,
  • Restrict our use of it if you object
  • The right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office



We take any complaints about how we collect and use your personal data very seriously, so please let us know if you think we’ve done something wrong.

You can make a complaint at any time by contacting our data protection officer.

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office in one of the following ways:

  • Report a concern online at
  • Call 0303 123 1113
  • Or write to: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF


Contact us

If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information about anything mentioned in this privacy notice, please contact our data protection officer, The DP Advice Service:



This notice is based on the Department for Education’s model privacy notice for pupils, amended to reflect the way we use data in this school.

Join us for an Open Day